GDBBS Support Package
All students admitted to the GDBBS receive a support package that includes:
- Stipend Support: The stipend for the 2018-2019 academic year is $31,000. The stipends of students who are successful in applying for individual fellowships covering at least 75% of their stipend receive a $2,000 supplement to their stipend for the length of the award. This PDF provides a summary of the financial support provided by the GDBBS and its programs.
- Tuition Scholarship: $62,700 for the 2018-2019 academic year. The tuition scholarship covers 100% of the cost of tuition. Students are responsible for paying their student fees (about $400 per semester) unless otherwise covered by a fellowship. Click here for details on tuition and fees (a PDF with tuition and fees is on the right in the More Information section, under "Tuition, Fees, and Scholarships").
- Health Insurance Subsidy: $3,466 for the 2018-2019 academic year. The health insurance subsidy covers 100% of the cost of the Emory/Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan. Click here for details on the health insurance plan.
Emory Competitive Fellowships
Emory offers several fellowships to outstanding applicants each year. The Programs nominate applicants for these fellowships. There are no additional forms for the applicant to complete, but all application material must arrive by the deadline date.
- The George W. Woodruff Fellowship (Woodruff) is the most prestigious fellowship offered by the Laney Graduate School and is awarded to exceptional students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement. The fellowship covers all tuition and fees and provides a $5,000 supplement to the standard GDBBS stipend for the five year length of the award.
- Centennial Scholar (CS) awards are intended to enhance the diversity of doctoral students by allowing LGS programs to offer competitive awards to the strongest applicants from groups that have historically been underrepresented in higher education. Awards will vary. U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible. Applicants who have been awarded Woodruff or LGSF awards can also be awarded the CS award.
- The Laney Graduate School Fellowship (LGSF) is offered by the Laney Graduate School in conjunction with the GDBBS Programs. The fellowship provides a $2,500 supplement to the standard GDBBS stipend for five years. All interviewed applicants are eligible for the award.
Cost of Living
The cost of living in suburban Atlanta compares very favorably to other university cities, and in only rare instances is the cost of living in the Emory area higher than that of comparable universities (http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.aspx).