Outstanding Current Students

Lisa Staimez

Lisa Staimez, a Nutrition and Health Sciences graduate student, received first prize in Emory’s first Three Minute Thesis(3MT®) competition. 3MT® is an academic competition that originated at University of Queensland in Australia; in it, PhD students are required to give an overview of their thesis workhand its significance in only three minutes. This forces students to distill the most important details of their work into a quick talk, and the challenge provides the student with a unique perspective on their own work. This year was Emory’s pilot competition, and awards were given for presentation and for written abstracts. Staimez’s winning presentation was titled “Unlocking the Gates to Diabetes Prevention.”

Sara Freeman

Emory’s Crystal Apple awards are given to outstanding teachers to commend them for excellence in teaching and involvement in the Emory community. This year, for the first time in its 14-year history, the award also was given to an outstanding graduate student teacher. Sara Freeman, a Neuroscience student in Larry Young’s lab, was awarded the Crystal Apple for Excellence in Teaching by a Graduate Student. The awards are entirely student run, and this new category was added by popular demand.

According to Sara: “Teaching has given me extensive experience with communicating scientific concepts to a broader audience than just the research community. In doing so, I greatly have improved my ability to speak in a concise and clear manner. But by far, my favorite part of teaching has been that I’ve been able to connect with bright, passionate undergraduate students. It’s truly motivating to see the way they grapple with a challenging or novel concept, and it’s so fulfilling to think that I played a part in guiding them ultimately to understand it. In short, teaching keeps me excited about science.”

Callie Wigington

The 63rd-Annual Lindau Meeting of Nobel Laureates takesplace this summer in Lindau, Germany. This meeting, begun in 1951, features Nobel Laureates in chemistry, medicine/physiology, and physics coming together to have informal meetingswith graduate students and young researchers. Callie Wigington, a Biochemistry, Cell, and Developmental Biology student in Anita Corbett’s lab, was nominated to attend the meeting, whose focus is on chemistry and chemistry-related disciplines. She was given a travel award and will go to Germany this summer.

According to Callie: “Being selected to attend the Lindau Nobel Laureates meeting is an incredible honor and such an exciting opportunity for a young scientist. I will interact with and learn from more than 30 Nobel Laureates in an environment that historically has fostered inspirational discussions among junior scientists and the leaders in their fields. I also will have the chance to network with some of the best and brightest young scientists from around the world.”