Members of the admissions committees consider all portions of the application when making their decision. We have no set minimums. General requirements include:
- A strong undergraduate background in the physical, biological, or behavioral sciences.
- A cumulative average of B+ or better in major science courses.
- High motivation for a career in biological or biomedical research.
- Strong letters of recommendation (three are required).
- A thoughtfully written Statement of Purpose that includes information on why you want to attend graduate school, any research interests you may have, and details on any prior research experience, including the extent to which you were intellectually and independently involved in your research project.
- All applicants (including international applicants) must submit official scores from the Graduate Record Examination General Test (GRE). Scores must not be more than five years old. Our institution code is 5187 and there is no department code.
- International applicants whose native language is not English must also complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Additional information on the application process can be found on our "Apply Now" page.
Students applying to the Medical Scientist M.D./Ph.D. Program should have an outstanding academic background in science or mathematics, as well as research experience as undergraduates. Application to the program is accomplished through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) to the Emory University School of Medicine (deadline October 15th). All supplemental materials and letters of recommendation must be received by the Emory Medical School Office of Admissions by December 1. Acceptance into the M.D./Ph.D. Program usually occurs prior to entering the first or second year of medical school. Tuition and a competitive yearly stipend are provided for all students accepted into the M.D./Ph.D. Program. This program is supported in part by a Medical Scientist Training Program grant from the National Institutes of Health. Interested applicants may obtain additional information from the M.D./ Ph.D. Program, Emory University School of Medicine, 1648 Pierce Drive - Room 149, Atlanta, GA 30322-3110.